8.07.2010

I will not continue to give myself permission to fail!

The big Monkeys are off to the lake with grandma and grandpa for the week. We'll be joining them on Tuesday. In the meantime I'm relaxing with baby and doing things I can't otherwise do.
One of those things is taking a long walk in the park by the river. It's hard to do that now with the big kids because they want to walk, but they can't go the whole way which induces whining and complaining and makes the trip totally worthless.

I could talk about the things I saw, how hot it was, or how the baby cried most of the way back to the car. But I had a revelation of sorts about goals. I've blogged before about loosing the baby weight and how I've started down that road. Today was the day I was going to take a really long walk that pushes me to the limits (because the baby was suppose to sleep the whole way, right??). I get half way through the walk and think "well, I could really stop here because it's been a long time and I could get away with it." Then it hits me. If I give myself permission to fail to reach this goal, I'm giving myself permission to fail the next time and the next time and the next time. I'm giving myself permission to not reach my overall big-picture goal....which means fitting into my fall/winter clothes.

It happened all over again as I pass a certain fast food restaurant. I could really use a drink and since it's dinner time I could grab a burger. Stop, stop, stop, stop! If I don't get into the drive-thru today, I will have an easier time saying "no" tomorrow. If I give myself permission to eat fast food today, I'll continue to do it. When do I start DOING the right things? What day to I want to draw the line? Apparently today is the day. I'm done.

No comments: