7.25.2010

Our "the heifers are out" walk

I thought for sure I'd start and blog and have nothing to say. But alas, this evening I had a little adventure on my walk. The title says it all, but read on for some clarification. It's not like it sounds.

To shed off the baby weight, my mom and I have been walking almost every day. When we get to the neighbor's house (2 corn fields away) their puppy is on the road. We shoo him up the driveway to his house so he wouldn't get run over. Back on the road mom looks back to make sure that silly little puppy wasn't still following us, and we see cows running across the neighbor's yard headed to the road. "The cows are out!" Seriously??!! First a dog and now cows?? We run back and this time shoo cows up the driveway to the barn. Once at the barn our neighbors' oldest son steps out "Oh! The heifers are out!" Said with such exasperation, almost like for the millionth time the cows got out. ARGH! You could feel his pain of once again having to get them back in the pen and having to once again mend the fence. His dad and little brother come out of the barn and take over....thank goodness. Like mom and I have a clue what to do with cows.

It's times like this that I love living in the country. Never in a million years would we have to shoo cows while taking a walk when we lived in the metro area. Mom and I reminisced about when my dad had pigs and the trials of their escape from the pens. Yes, certainly cows were easier to corral than pigs.

On the weight loss side of the story, I walked today wearing 5 pound weights on each leg. Goodness, I got a great workout! Yay me! Anyone have other little tips that aren't a big deal but help add to your workouts?

A little background:
My family is fortunate to live in my grandfather's house which is on the farm my dad and uncle own (neither my husband nor I farm, we just live here) across the road from my parents' house. We are lucky to have my parents very close by to watch the kids, share meals, and take long walks.

No comments: