7.19.2011

"Hot like Africa" -- Alicia

This morning my daughter announces that it's hot like Africa today. Yep. She's right. However, I'll take this over -30F any day.

I had been thinking all night and all morning about how I'm going to keep the kids cool and entertained today. We only have one window air conditioner in the house and it keeps the house cool for the most part. Weeks with temps and humidity like this week, the a/c can't keep up. We're stuck in the living room to keep cool today. During my workout at the gym it occurred to me I could take them to McDonalds for some cool fun. We normally go to the McDonalds in Norwood Young America when we want to make it an outing, because it has a better set up than our local McDonalds (bigger, cleaner, better eating area, etc.).

So how do I manage a trip to McD's on a diet? Eat on the way. It's a 30 minute drive, so I had time to munch on the way. I grabbed a serving of almonds, a banana, and lemon water. I get the kids their meals and a Diet Coke for me. It sounds really hard to go out to eat and not actually eat. Once I tried it, I don't have many problems doing it. There are two benefits (1) no guilt, and (2) more time to concentrate on the kids. Instead of shooshing the kids or getting upset with them because I can't eat MY food, I can help them with their food and have conversation with them. The Diet Coke kept my hands busy and my tummy full until I got home. Once home I made a turkey sandwich. Seriously, if you're struggling with weight and have small kids (or a similar situation) try it once. You'll be surprised at how easy it is.

By the way, if you just can't get away without ordering, ONE regular hamburger and a Diet Coke are within boundaries. On Weight Watchers, it's 7 points. Perfect for a meal. NO FRENCH FRIES. The Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad with Southwest Dressing will work too (I forget with the points value are, but you can look those up...it's reasonable.) I found that eating out from time-to-time helps to keep you on track during the long term. Just be reasonable about it. "One cookie won't kill you....it's the whole box that causes trouble." Right?

Another eating out tip: Pizza Hut buffet. See if you can get the kid's buffet price and explain that you're doing the salad bar and you only want one piece of pizza. The pizza slice is small and you'll fill up on salad (watch the dressing portions!). Takes care of that pizza craving for a while. I give myself 7 points for the pizza and 4 for the dressing. Still reasonable number of points for a meal.

Any other tips?

No comments: